Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Book Review Wednesday


Since I am a bibliophile, I thought I would start doing a very short book reviews each week. The book that prompted me to think about doing this was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I had seen the book a few times in the store and heard a little buzz about it so I decided to check it out.

The book has the same characters and writing style as the original by Jane Austen with a twist.

An infestation of Zombies is plaguing England. The entire country is on their guard against zombie attacks. The militia spends all their time trying desperately to banish all the zombies. In that same vein, Mr. Bennett makes sure his four daughters are trained in Zombie fighting. People that have very good zombie fighting skills are revered throughout society.

In spite of the infestation, Victorian life must go on. There are balls and dinners that may be interrupted by the animated dead in their quest to eat the living. Courting, flirting and socializing continue with small interruptions to have to kill the attackers. In spite of all the circumstances that seem to keep them apart, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth find a common bond that brings them together in the quest to rid the country side of the awful creatures.

I was not expecting a great work of literature so I was able to get past the many references to vomiting and the sexual innuendo. The question I was left with after finishing it is, "how did zombies come to plague England?" There is no explanation of how it started. All in all, I would probably not recommend the book for purchase. It is worthy of a library check out to see what all the hoopla is, but I wouldn't spend my money on it.




No comments:

Post a Comment